Do you suffer from unsightly and embarrassing inflammation and redness on the face, acne or acne marks, eczema or even rosacea or erythema?
Well know that there is a botanical ingredient known for several millennia in Asia perfect for relieving and improving this problem skin: the Centella Asiatica, also known by the traditional name oftiger grass or more commercially today of CAT.
What is Centella Asiatica?
There Gotu kola is a perennial plant, composed of small fan-shaped leaves, native to tropical and subtropical regions of Asia and Oceania.
There Centella Asiatica like other perennial plants (houttuynia) or living in a constrained or competitive environment (cactus, resurrection plant, etc.) has been able to adapt and develop over time strategies, biological processes and so specific assets to survive and grow despite the difficult and even extreme living conditions.
Animals and men have been able to take advantage of it for millennia:
- Legend has it that tigers came to rub against this grass to heal their wounds, which earned it the nickname “tiger grass”.
- It is used as medicinal plant in Ayurvedic medicine (traditional medicine from India) and traditional Chinese medicine, in particular to treat itching, burns or even small wounds.
Beyond this traditional and empirical knowledge dating back several millennia, Centella Asiatica has been studied since the middle of the 20th century and even today studies are continuing, still regularly discovering health benefits.
The active ingredients of Centella Asiatica, their benefits on the skin
The benefits of Centella Asiatica leaves come from its content of many active ingredients that are unique to it:
- l’asiaticoside, the madecassoside,
- asiatic, madecassic and madasiac acids, and other centellosides, …
L’asiaticoside and the madecassoside, the two main assets, are classified as antioxidants And so-called skin care agents by the INCI (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients), and are organic compounds that help the skin tissue to fight degenerative processes (DNA oxidation), and to regenerate and rebuild its various components.
Antioxidant and protective action
Antioxidants, madecassoside and asiaticoside fight against oxidative stress due in particular to UV rays, and regulate the production of melamine, which is particularly increased during exposure to the sun; two fundamental actions against cellular degeneration and pigment spots.
In-depth reinforcing action
Madecassoside and asiaticoside promote collagen synthesis through the skin and the blood circulation as close as possible to the cells, participate fully in the skin regeneration and thus contribute to the good structure and the good vitality of the skin, guaranteeing its capacity to preserve and improve both its hydration, in firmness, son elasticity and its level of resilience to external aggressions.
Soothing and healing action
Madecassoside and asiaticoside are ultimately active strengthening the skin barrier, soothing skin from redness, irritations and inflammations and improving wound healing ; making Centella Asiatica the ally of sensitive skins suffering fromeczema, of psoriasis, d’erythema oracne.
A real anti-aging booster and improving the comfort of inflamed and problem skin, Centella Asiatica has for some years its " line of cosmetics " : THE CICA care, declined in the different forms or stages of the korean layering, with the best known CICA cream.
THE CICA care first appeared within K-Beauty with Centella Asiatica as the first ingredient and highlighting the soothing and restorative benefits of the plant.
Unfortunately in France, some players in the dermatological industry have found the idea interesting to use this name for their soothing and healing cream care but without Centella Asiatica, or even without active ingredients of botanical origin... To benefit from the benefits of Centella, So keep your eyes peeled and double check the ingredient list.
CICA facial treatments from the MY-KARE selection
MY-KARE has selected for you CICA treatments from Korean cosmetics rich in Centella Asiatica, treatments with quality ingredients ideal for soothing inflamed, irritated skin or/and having problems such as acne, acne marks, eczema or erythema:
Other treatments from the MY-KARE selection also include Centella Asiatica extracts in their formula: see the selection of treatments at Centella Asiatica.
A question about this article, our selection of natural Korean cosmetics or need advice tailored to your skin, contact us!
- Bylka W, Znamek-Awizen P, Studzińska-Sroka E, Brzezińska M. Centella asiatica in cosmetology. Progress Dermatol Allergol. 2013 Feb.
- BURANASUDJA, Visarut, RANI, Dolly, MALLA, Ashwini, et al. Insights into antioxidant activities and anti-skin-aging potential of callus extract from Centella asiatica (L.). Scientific reports, 2021, vol. 11, no. 1, p. 1-16.
- Park KS. Pharmacological Effects of Centella asiatica on Skin Diseases: Evidence and Possible Mechanisms. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2021 Nov 20.
- Wu F, Bian D, Xia Y, Gong Z, Tan Q, Chen J, Dai Y. Identification of Major Active Ingredients Responsible for Burn Wound Healing of Centella asiatica Herbs. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012.